Amazon EKS vs Docker Cloud: What are the differences?
Amazon EKS: Highly available and scalable Kubernetes service. Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (Amazon EKS) is a managed service that makes it easy for you to run Kubernetes on AWS without needing to install and operate your own Kubernetes clusters; Docker Cloud: A hosted service for Docker container management and deployment. Docker Cloud is the best way to deploy and manage Dockerized applications. Docker Cloud makes it easy for new Docker users to manage and deploy the full spectrum of applications, from single container apps to distributed microservices stacks, to any cloud or on-premises infrastructure.
Amazon EKS and Docker Cloud can be primarily classified as "Containers as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Amazon EKS are:
- Managed Kubernetes Control Plane - Amazon EKS provides a scalable and highly-available control plane that runs across multiple AWS availability zones.
- Security and Networking - Amazon EKS makes it easy to provide security for your Kubernetes clusters, with advanced features and integrations to AWS services and technology partner solutions.
- Logging - Amazon EKS is integrated with Amazon CloudWatch Logs and AWS CloudTrail to provide visibility and audit history tracking of your cluster and user activity.
On the other hand, Docker Cloud provides the following key features:
- Simplify Docker Provisioning
- Deploy Apps Anywhere
- Automate Your Developer Workflows
Moogsoft, Condé Nast, and Cuemby are some of the popular companies that use Amazon EKS, whereas Docker Cloud is used by DNT, Firecracker, and MetricAid. Amazon EKS has a broader approval, being mentioned in 27 company stacks & 8 developers stacks; compared to Docker Cloud, which is listed in 21 company stacks and 6 developer stacks.
What is Amazon EKS?
What is Docker Cloud?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Amazon EKS?
What are the cons of using Amazon EKS?
What are the cons of using Docker Cloud?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
We decided to leverage Docker Cloud for our public facing APIs. This allows us to cleanly scale our nodes & containers without being vendor locked to a specific PaaS.