Apiary vs RAML: What are the differences?
Apiary: Integrated API documentation, prototyping and testing. It takes more than a simple HTML page to thrill your API users. The right tools take weeks of development. Weeks that apiary.io saves; RAML: RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML) makes it easy to manage the whole API lifecycle from design to sharing. RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML) makes it easy to manage the whole API lifecycle from design to sharing. It's concise - you only write what you need to define - and reusable. It is machine readable API design that is actually human friendly.
Apiary belongs to "Documentation as a Service & Tools" category of the tech stack, while RAML can be primarily classified under "API Tools".
Some of the features offered by Apiary are:
- Documentation- Organized around resources, code samples with syntax highlight, easy to explore.
- Inspector- Users can make API calls through apiary.io, we show them how they differ from documentation.
- Community- Opensource your API documentation on GitHub. The right channel between developers on both side of the API.
On the other hand, RAML provides the following key features:
- Create and pull in namespaced, reusable libraries, containing data types
- Annotations let you add vendor specific functionality without compromising your spec
- Traits and resource Types let you take advantage of code reuse and design patterns
"Easy to use" is the top reason why over 25 developers like Apiary, while over 9 developers mention "API Specification" as the leading cause for choosing RAML.
CircleCI, Sellsuki, and TestLegends are some of the popular companies that use Apiary, whereas RAML is used by Taboola, ikusei, and Anchnet. Apiary has a broader approval, being mentioned in 44 company stacks & 18 developers stacks; compared to RAML, which is listed in 9 company stacks and 6 developer stacks.