Bitnami Stacksmith vs Clair: What are the differences?
Developers describe Bitnami Stacksmith as "Create custom container images in minutes". Pick your favorite development environments ready-to-run including: Python, Java, PHP, Go, Ruby and Node. Layer on the web frameworks you need to kick-start your project including: Symfony, Express, Rails, and Django. On the other hand, Clair is detailed as "Open Source Vulnerability Analysis for your Containers". Clair is a container vulnerability analysis service by CoreOS. It provides the list of vulnerabilities that threaten each container and can sends notifications whenever new vulnerabilities that affect existing containers are released.
Bitnami Stacksmith and Clair can be categorized as "Container" tools.
Some of the features offered by Bitnami Stacksmith are:
- Creates custom container images in minutes, then lets you share them using a simple URL
- Sends notifications of security issues and out-of-date components straight to your inbox
- Makes it easy to package your web application or service in a unique container image
On the other hand, Clair provides the following key features:
- api defines how users interact with Clair and exposes a documented HTTP API.
- worker extracts useful informations from layers and store everything in the database.
- updater periodically updates Clair's vulnerability database from known vulnerability sources.
Clair is an open source tool with 5.41K GitHub stars and 696 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Clair's open source repository on GitHub.