Jinja2 vs Liquid: What are the differences?
What is Jinja2? Full featured template engine for Python. It is a full featured template engine for Python. It has full unicode support, an optional integrated sandboxed execution environment, widely used and BSD licensed.
What is Liquid? Open-source template language written in Ruby. It is an open-source template language written in Ruby. It is the backbone of Shopify themes and is used to load dynamic content on storefronts. It is safe, customer facing template language for flexible web apps.
Jinja2 and Liquid can be primarily classified as "Templating Languages & Extensions" tools.
Some of the features offered by Jinja2 are:
- Powerful automatic HTML escaping system for cross site scripting prevention
- Template inheritance makes it possible to use the same or a similar layout for all templates
- High performance with just in time compilation to Python bytecode
On the other hand, Liquid provides the following key features:
- Render templates directly from the database
- Smarty (PHP) style template engines
- Template engine which does HTML just as well as emails
Jinja2 and Liquid are both open source tools. It seems that Liquid with 7.36K GitHub stars and 958 forks on GitHub has more adoption than Jinja2 with 6.48K GitHub stars and 1.25K GitHub forks.
According to the StackShare community, Jinja2 has a broader approval, being mentioned in 34 company stacks & 93 developers stacks; compared to Liquid, which is listed in 30 company stacks and 4 developer stacks.