Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
libvirt vs OpenStack: What are the differences?
What is libvirt? An open-source virtualization API. It is an open-source API, daemon and management tool for managing platform virtualization. It can be used to manage KVM, Xen, VMware ESXi, QEMU and other virtualization technologies.
What is OpenStack? Open source software for building private and public clouds. OpenStack is a cloud operating system that controls large pools of compute, storage, and networking resources throughout a datacenter, all managed through a dashboard that gives administrators control while empowering their users to provision resources through a web interface.
libvirt and OpenStack are primarily classified as "Virtual Machine Management" and "Open Source Cloud" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by libvirt are:
- manage virtualization platforms
- accessible from C, Python, Perl, Java and more
- supports KVM, QEMU, Xen, Virtuozzo, VMWare ESX, LXC, BHyve and more
On the other hand, OpenStack provides the following key features:
Pros of libvirt
- Low overhead2
- Built into most Linux distros2
- Native KVM and QEMU2
- Native hypervisor2
- Can fully manage via CLI or VirtManager2
- VirtIO direct hardware access2
- VirtIO direct hardware support1
Pros of OpenStack
- Private cloud54
- Avoid vendor lock-in37
- Flexible in use22
- Industry leader6
- Supported by many companies in top5004
- Robust architecture4