Mandrill vs Postmark: What are the differences?
Developers describe Mandrill as "Send transactional, triggered, and personalized email, then track results". Mandrill is a new way for apps to send transactional email. It runs on the delivery infrastructure that powers MailChimp. On the other hand, Postmark is detailed as "Email delivery for web apps - done right". Postmark removes the headaches of delivering and parsing transactional email for webapps with minimal setup time and zero maintenance.
Mandrill and Postmark belong to "Transactional Email" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Mandrill are:
- Inbound Email- Set up inboxes for Mandrill to control. When they receive email, we’ll make an API call to your app with all the relevant information, so you don’t have to worry about what’s happening behind the scenes.
- Webhooks Support- Create custom event notifications, keep track of new signups and unsubscribes in real-time, get a notice of every spam complaint so you can flag them in your database.
- Rules Engine- Modify the content of email coming through Mandrill without having to involve developers. For example, you could tell Mandrill to take any email coming from email@example.com, give it a new template, and add Google Analytics tracking.
On the other hand, Postmark provides the following key features:
- Create a new virtual server- Instant access to our infrastructure, no waiting required. Create as many servers as you want, for each of your web applications and environments.
- Drop code into your app- Swap in our SMTP endpoint, or get started with our APIs using one of our send API libraries for Ruby, Rails, .NET, Python, PHP, and more.
- Send emails and track delivery- A beautiful interface to monitor volume, bounces, spam complaints, and send activity. View full email content to troubleshoot issues.
"Simple installation" is the top reason why over 188 developers like Mandrill, while over 17 developers mention "Simple" as the leading cause for choosing Postmark.
Stripe, Nubank, and Bukalapak are some of the popular companies that use Mandrill, whereas Postmark is used by Swat.io, Docplanner, and Walls.io. Mandrill has a broader approval, being mentioned in 2313 company stacks & 208 developers stacks; compared to Postmark, which is listed in 67 company stacks and 15 developer stacks.
What is Mandrill?
What is Postmark?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
We've moved our transactional email away from Mandrill to Mailgun. We had continued using Mandrill after Mailchimp deprecated the service awhile back, because the amount of credits we were offered essentially made it free.
However, following a couple weeks of frequent downtime and poor service transparency from Mandrill, we decided it was time to make the switch. It appears they no longer had any engineers with the ability to identify the core problems.
Mailgun has been more reliable, yet not as reliable as we expected. We still see issues a few times per week with the API failing when we attempt to make a call. The Reporting UI is way better.
This is by far the best way to send emails. I learned the API in under 15 minutes and started sending email right then. And best of all, it's completely free to use them for me! They give you 12,000 emails/month for free. I don't have to send much email, so I've never paid a cent. I highly recommend them.
We use Mandrill to send transactional emails and newsletters. We've just moved from SendGrid as Mandrill has far better support for templates and also integrates really nicely with MailChimp where we can design the emails.
We started off with AWS SES, but found it to be lacking in diagnostics and reporting. Mandrill is a quantum leap forward in this regard. Has some other really neat features carried over from MailChimp (templating).
We use Mandrill to handle all transactional emailing - from welcome letters to password reminders to notifications.
Mandrill is used to send out all e-mail from the application and any tools and services in our infrastructure.
We use Postmark for application-specific transactional emails like notifications and digests for our users.
We have add-on for Agile Toolkit that implements "Outbox" for your application through Mandrill API.