Nagios vs Shinken: What are the differences?
What is Nagios? Complete monitoring and alerting for servers, switches, applications, and services. Nagios is a host/service/network monitoring program written in C and released under the GNU General Public License.
What is Shinken? Nagios compatible monitoring framework, written in Python. Shinken's main goal is to give users a flexible architecture for their monitoring system that is designed to scale to large environments. Shinken is backwards-compatible with the Nagios configuration standard and plugins. It works on any operating system and architecture that supports Python, which includes Windows, GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.
Nagios and Shinken belong to "Monitoring Tools" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Nagios are:
- Monitor your entire IT infrastructure
- Spot problems before they occur
- Know immediately when problems arise
On the other hand, Shinken provides the following key features:
- Easy to install : install is mainly done with pip but some packages are available (deb / rpm) and we are planning to provide nightly build
- Easy for new users : once installed, Shinken provide a simple command line interface to install new module and packs
- Easy to migrate from Nagios : we want Nagios configuration and plugins to work in Shinken so that it is a “in place” replacement
Nagios and Shinken are both open source tools. Shinken with 1.08K GitHub stars and 355 forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Nagios with 60 GitHub stars and 36 GitHub forks.
Uber Technologies, Dropbox, and 9GAG are some of the popular companies that use Nagios, whereas Shinken is used by In Sun We Trust, Koolicar, and Flock. Nagios has a broader approval, being mentioned in 177 company stacks & 40 developers stacks; compared to Shinken, which is listed in 3 company stacks and 3 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is Nagios?
What is Shinken?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions