What is PagerDuty?
Who uses PagerDuty?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose PagerDuty in their tech stack.
We are evaluating an APM tool and would like to select between AppDynamics or Datadog. Our applications are largely hosted on Microsoft Azure but we would keep the option to move to AWS or Google Cloud Platform in the future.
In addition to core Azure services, we will be hosting other components - including MongoDB, Keycloak, PagerDuty, etc. Our applications are largely C# and React-based using frontend for Backend patterns and Azure API gateway. In addition, there are close to 50+ external services integrated using both REST and SOAP.
I'm currently on PagerDuty, but I'm about to add enough users to go out of the starter tier, which will dramatically increase my license cost. PagerDuty is, in my experience, quite clunky, and I'm looking for alternatives. Squadcast is one I've found, and another is xMatters. Between the three, I'm currently leaning towards xMatters, but I'd like to know what people suggest.
- Alerting that works (and wakes you up)- When your systems go down, PagerDuty will wake you up. You choose how you want to be alerted - via phone, SMS or email, to multiple numbers, with retries.
- Integrate all your existing monitoring tools- PagerDuty works great with almost all monitoring tools including: Nagios (and Icinga), Keynote, New Relic, Pingdom, Circonus, Red Gate SQL Monitor, Server Density, Zenoss, Monit, Munin, SolarWinds and many others. If it can send email, it will work with PagerDuty.
- Native apps with push notifications- iOS and Android native apps with push notifications and a cross-platform mobile website ensure you can respond to alerts wherever you are, even on the go.
- On-call duty scheduling- Easily set up schedules to fairly share on-call duty responsibilities with your team.
- Automatic escalation of alerts- If you're paged but don't respond in time, the alert is auto-escalated to a team member. Ensures nothing slips through the cracks - ever.
- Reliable, distributed architecture- PagerDuty's infrastructure is fully replicated in multiple data centers, with fast failover when problems occur.
- Works internationally (Yes, really!)- Phone alerts can be delivered to over 170 countries and territories
- SMS alerts are available virtually world-wide. (Is my country included?)