Appium vs HockeyApp: What are the differences?
What is Appium? Automation for iOS and Android Apps. Appium is an open source test automation framework for use with native, hybrid, and mobile web apps. It drives iOS and Android apps using the WebDriver protocol. Appium is sponsored by Sauce Labs and a thriving community of open source developers.
What is HockeyApp? Manage your betas and collect live crash reports for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and OS X apps. HockeyApp is the best way to collect live crash reports, get feedback from your users, distribute your betas, and analyze your test coverage.
Appium and HockeyApp are primarily classified as "Mobile Testing Frameworks" and "Beta Testing / Mobile App Distribution" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Appium are:
- Works on native and hybrid mobile apps
- Write mobile tests using any language or framework
- Open source
On the other hand, HockeyApp provides the following key features:
- Crash Reports- HockeyApp offers the most reliable and complete crash reporting for beta and App Store versions using open source frameworks. Providing full server-side symbolication with class names, methods, line numbers, and automatic grouping of similar crash reports.
- Feedback- HockeyApp allows you to communicate with your customers. Users can create a support request, post an idea, or discuss a problem right from within the app.
- Distribution- Upload your beta versions to HockeyApp and distribute them to your beta testers. Integrate our open-source SDK and your app will automatically be able to detect updates and offer the updates right within the app.Analytics- By integrating our SDK into your app, you'll get advanced metrics to get a better overview of the testing for your app. See which devices were tested, which testers used the app for how long, and which language was tested.
"Webdriverio support" is the primary reason why developers consider Appium over the competitors, whereas "Crash analytics" was stated as the key factor in picking HockeyApp.
Appium is an open source tool with 9.5K GitHub stars and 3.9K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Appium's open source repository on GitHub.
Harvest, SOLEDOS GmbH, and Brigade are some of the popular companies that use HockeyApp, whereas Appium is used by Intuit, PedidosYa, and FOODit. HockeyApp has a broader approval, being mentioned in 50 company stacks & 10 developers stacks; compared to Appium, which is listed in 31 company stacks and 21 developer stacks.
What is Appium?
What is HockeyApp?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Appium?
What are the cons of using HockeyApp?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
We employ HockeyApp to test new builds for our mobile applications. It makes it very easy to send out early builds for stakeholders to test.