Cacti vs Logstash: What are the differences?
What is Cacti? Cacti stores all of the necessary information to create graphs and populate them with data in a MySQL database. Cacti is a complete network graphing solution designed to harness the power of RRDTool's data storage and graphing functionality. Cacti provides a fast poller, advanced graph templating, multiple data acquisition methods, and user management features out of the box.
What is Logstash? Collect, Parse, & Enrich Data. Logstash is a tool for managing events and logs. You can use it to collect logs, parse them, and store them for later use (like, for searching). If you store them in Elasticsearch, you can view and analyze them with Kibana.
Cacti belongs to "Monitoring Tools" category of the tech stack, while Logstash can be primarily classified under "Log Management".
Some of the features offered by Cacti are:
- Unlimited number of graph items can be defined for each graph optionally utilizing CDEFs or data sources from within cacti.
- Automatic grouping of GPRINT graph items to AREA, STACK, and LINE[1-3] to allow for quick re-sequencing of graph items.
- Auto-Padding support to make sure graph legend text lines up.
On the other hand, Logstash provides the following key features:
- Centralize data processing of all types
- Normalize varying schema and formats
- Quickly extend to custom log formats
"Free" is the primary reason why developers consider Cacti over the competitors, whereas "Free" was stated as the key factor in picking Logstash.
Logstash is an open source tool with 10.3K GitHub stars and 2.76K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Logstash's open source repository on GitHub.
reddit, Docplanner, and Harvest are some of the popular companies that use Logstash, whereas Cacti is used by Webedia, Cosmote, and Dek-D. Logstash has a broader approval, being mentioned in 551 company stacks & 270 developers stacks; compared to Cacti, which is listed in 5 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.