CloudAMQP vs Gearman: What are the differences?
CloudAMQP: RabbitMQ as a Service. Fully managed, highly available RabbitMQ servers and clusters, on all major compute platforms; Gearman: A generic application framework to farm out work to other machines or processes. Gearman allows you to do work in parallel, to load balance processing, and to call functions between languages. It can be used in a variety of applications, from high-availability web sites to the transport of database replication events.
CloudAMQP and Gearman can be primarily classified as "Message Queue" tools.
Some of the features offered by CloudAMQP are:
- Support - 24/7 support, via email, chat and phone.
- Real time metrics and alarms - Get notified in advanced when your queues are growing faster than you're consuming them, when you're servers are over loaded etc. and take action before it becomes a problem.
- Auto-healing - Our monitoring systems automatically detects and fixes a lot of problems such as kernel bugs, auto-restarts, RabbitMQ/Erlang version upgrades etc.
On the other hand, Gearman provides the following key features:
- Open Source It’s free! (in both meanings of the word) Gearman has an active open source community that is easy to get involved with if you need help or want to contribute. Worried about licensing? Gearman is BSD
- Multi-language - There are interfaces for a number of languages, and this list is growing. You also have the option to write heterogeneous applications with clients submitting work in one language and workers performing that work in another
- Flexible - You are not tied to any specific design pattern. You can quickly put together distributed applications using any model you choose, one of those options being Map/Reduce
"Some of the best customer support you'll ever find" is the primary reason why developers consider CloudAMQP over the competitors, whereas "Free" was stated as the key factor in picking Gearman.
Instagram, Hootsuite, and Grooveshark are some of the popular companies that use Gearman, whereas CloudAMQP is used by Travis CI, Guaana, and Apartment List. Gearman has a broader approval, being mentioned in 19 company stacks & 5 developers stacks; compared to CloudAMQP, which is listed in 12 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.