Graphite vs StatsD: What are the differences?
Developers describe Graphite as "A highly scalable real-time graphing system". Graphite does two things: 1) Store numeric time-series data and 2) Render graphs of this data on demand. On the other hand, StatsD is detailed as "Simple daemon for easy stats aggregation". StatsD is a front-end proxy for the Graphite/Carbon metrics server, originally written by Etsy's Erik Kastner. StatsD is a network daemon that runs on the Node.js platform and listens for statistics, like counters and timers, sent over UDP and sends aggregates to one or more pluggable backend services (e.g., Graphite).
Graphite and StatsD can be categorized as "Monitoring" tools.
Some of the features offered by Graphite are:
- carbon - a Twisted daemon that listens for time-series data
- whisper - a simple database library for storing time-series data (similar in design to RRD)
- graphite webapp - A Django webapp that renders graphs on-demand using Cairo
On the other hand, StatsD provides the following key features:
- buckets: Each stat is in its own "bucket". They are not predefined anywhere. Buckets can be named anything that will translate to Graphite (periods make folders, etc)
- values: Each stat will have a value. How it is interpreted depends on modifiers. In general values should be integer.
- flush: After the flush interval timeout (defined by config.flushInterval, default 10 seconds), stats are aggregated and sent to an upstream backend service.
"Render any graph" is the primary reason why developers consider Graphite over the competitors, whereas "Single responsibility" was stated as the key factor in picking StatsD.
Graphite and StatsD are both open source tools. StatsD with 14.2K GitHub stars and 1.83K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Graphite with 4.59K GitHub stars and 1.2K GitHub forks.
Uber Technologies, Twilio SendGrid, and Shutterstock are some of the popular companies that use Graphite, whereas StatsD is used by Lyft, Kickstarter, and Sauce Labs. Graphite has a broader approval, being mentioned in 97 company stacks & 21 developers stacks; compared to StatsD, which is listed in 72 company stacks and 16 developer stacks.
What is Graphite?
What is StatsD?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Graphite?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
StatsD is used to track the number of messages we're publishing and the type of realtime subscribers. So it shows the number of longpoll connections, the number of websocket connections etc. It also tracks how Redis is performing.
Utilizando computação em nuvens e o modelo de pagar pelo uso com _graphite _nós conseguimos analisar todos os logs de informação gerada pelo sistema.