Hexo vs Hugo: What are the differences?
Hexo: A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js. Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds; Hugo: A Fast and Flexible Static Site Generator built with love by spf13 in GoLang. Hugo is a static site generator written in Go. It is optimized for speed, easy use and configurability. Hugo takes a directory with content and templates and renders them into a full html website. Hugo makes use of markdown files with front matter for meta data.
Hexo and Hugo can be primarily classified as "Static Site Generators" tools.
Some of the features offered by Hexo are:
- Blazing Fast - Node.js brings you incredible generating speed. Hundreds of files take only seconds to build.
- Markdown Support - All features of GitHub Flavored Markdown are supported. You can even use most Octopress plugins in Hexo.
- One-Command Deployment - You only need one command to deploy your site to GitHub Pages, Heroku or other sites.
On the other hand, Hugo provides the following key features:
- Run Anywhere - Hugo is quite possibly the easiest to install software you've ever used, simply download and run. Hugo doesn't depend on administrative privileges, databases, runtimes, interpreters or external libraries. Sites built with Hugo can be deployed on S3, Github Pages, Dropbox or any web host.
- Fast & Powerful - Hugo is written for speed and performance. Great care has been taken to ensure that Hugo build time is as short as possible. We're talking milliseconds to build your entire site for most setups.
- Flexible - Hugo is designed to work how you do. Organize your content however you want with any URL structure. Declare your own content types. Define your own meta data in YAML, TOML or JSON.
"Ease of deployment" is the top reason why over 15 developers like Hexo, while over 35 developers mention "Lightning fast" as the leading cause for choosing Hugo.
Hexo and Hugo are both open source tools. Hugo with 36K GitHub stars and 4.05K forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Hexo with 26.9K GitHub stars and 3.57K GitHub forks.
Raygun, Kanteron Systems, and Vufuzi are some of the popular companies that use Hugo, whereas Hexo is used by Hazeorid, Erudika, and Flex.io. Hugo has a broader approval, being mentioned in 36 company stacks & 60 developers stacks; compared to Hexo, which is listed in 6 company stacks and 23 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Hexo?
What is Hugo?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions