Zapier vs Huginn: What are the differences?
What is Zapier? Automate tasks between other online services (services like Salesforce, Basecamp, Gmail, and 400+ more). Zapier is for busy people who know their time is better spent selling, marketing, or coding. Instead of wasting valuable time coming up with complicated systems - you can use Zapier to automate the web services you and your team are already using on a daily basis.
What is Huginn? A Self-Hosted and Open-Source Zapier Alternative. It is a system for building agents that perform automated tasks for you online. They can read the web, watch for events, and take actions on your behalf. It's Agents create and consume events, propagating them along a directed graph. Think of it as a hackable version of IFTTT or Zapier on your own server. You always know who has your data.
Zapier and Huginn belong to "Web Service Automation" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Zapier are:
- A Zap is a blueprint for a task you want to do over and over. In words, a Zap looks like this: "When I get a new thing in A, do this other thing in B." The first part is the trigger and the second part is the action. An example is "When I get a new entry from a Wufoo form, create a new lead in Salesforce."
- You can pick what fields from the trigger service should go to the action service and you can use static text and custom fields too. For instance, you might say that the phone number from your Wufoo form should be the work phone of your new Salesforce lead.
- Zapier regularly checks your trigger for new data. When the Zap triggers, Zapier automatically performs your action for you. Continuing with the Wufoo scenario, say you receive five new entries. Zapier takes each one and makes a new lead in Salesforce, customized to the way you specified in your Zap.
On the other hand, Huginn provides the following key features:
- Track the weather and get an email when it's going to rain (or snow) tomorrow
- Watch for air travel or shopping deals
- Follow your project names on Twitter and get updates when people mention them
Huginn is an open source tool with 27.7K GitHub stars and 2.66K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Huginn's open source repository on GitHub.