Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Joomla! vs Squarespace: What are the differences?
What is Joomla!? A content management system helping both novice users and expert developers to create powerful websites and applications. Joomla is a simple and powerful web server application and it requires a server with PHP and either MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server to run it.
What is Squarespace? Everything You Need To Create An Exceptional Website. Whether you need simple pages, sophisticated galleries, a professional blog, or want to sell online, it all comes standard with your Squarespace website. Squarespace starts you with beautiful designs right out of the box — each handcrafted by our award-winning design team to make your content stand out.
Joomla! belongs to "Self-Hosted Blogging / CMS" category of the tech stack, while Squarespace can be primarily classified under "Website Builder".
Some of the features offered by Joomla! are:
- User Management
- Media Manager
- Language Manager
On the other hand, Squarespace provides the following key features:
- SELL ANYTHING- Easily add a store to any Squarespace website and start selling physical and digital goods immediately.
- PAINLESS STORE MANAGEMENT- Manage your inventory, process customer orders, print packing slips, and customize emails all in one intuitive interface.
- BUILD BETTER PAGES WITH LAYOUTENGINE- LayoutEngine technology gives you the freedom to create visually rich pages with any configuration of text, images, products, and content blocks. Simply drag and drop your content exactly where you want and we'll automatically align them in a perfect grid.
"Powerful extension architecture " is the primary reason why developers consider Joomla! over the competitors, whereas "Easy setup" was stated as the key factor in picking Squarespace.
Joomla! is an open source tool with 3.29K GitHub stars and 2.88K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Joomla!'s open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Squarespace has a broader approval, being mentioned in 419 company stacks & 23 developers stacks; compared to Joomla!, which is listed in 131 company stacks and 36 developer stacks.
10 Years ago I have started to check more about the online sphere and I have decided to make a website. There were a few CMS available at that time like WordPress or Joomla that you can use to have your website. At that point, I have decided to use WordPress as it was the easiest and I am glad I have made a good decision. Now WordPress is the most used CMS. Later I have created also a site about WordPress: https://www.wpdoze.com
Pros of Joomla!
- Powerful extension architecture17
- Powerfull CMS6
- Mid-Hight End level CMS5
- Highly customizable4
- Vast repository of free and paid extensions2
- Extensions & Templates2
- Multilingual in the core1
Pros of Squarespace
- Easy setup36
- Clean designs31
- Beautiful responsive themes8
- Easy ongoing maintenance6
- Live chat & 24/7 support team3
- No coding necessary1
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of Joomla!
Cons of Squarespace
- Hard to use custom code1