What is Semaphore?
Who uses Semaphore?
Why developers like Semaphore?
Here are some stack decisions, common use cases and reviews by companies and developers who chose Semaphore in their tech stack.
Portainer being an open-source software, we decided to use the GitHub platform to host our codebase as well as our issue system. No need to present GitHub nowadays, it's perfectly geared with all the tools you need to manage small to large open-source projects (albeit with the usage of integrations that are easily available via its marketplace).
In the context of the Portainer project, I'd like to highlight the tight integration of GitHub with Semaphore CI system. By leveraging this integration, we are able to automatically trigger a build of the application when a contribution is made to the project. This build is actually composed of a compilation of the program as well as the automatic creation and deployment of a Docker image directly on the DockerHub.
This allow us to easily test and validate contributions made to the project and is a must-have for any open-source project that can leverage it.
When it comes to continuous Integration services, the choice is hard. There are several solutions available and it looks like the dev scene is very split. We've read and reviewed several solutions and we ended up making the choice between Codeship and Semaphore . Although Semaphore is used by slightly more developers, we've experienced a faster and easy flow using Codeship. Both do integrate Slack and GitHub very well, so this is not a point to set them apart. Both have a complex pricing system that is not that easy to calculate and predict. However, out in the wild, we found Codeship to have a better price point at heavy use.
The Bitbucket integration with branch whitelists allows you to conserve your 100 builds this month. Semaphore
- Docker, Kubernetes, iOS support & 100+ preinstalled Tools
- Customizable Continuous Delivery Pipelines
- Customizable Stages, Parallel Execution and Control Flow Switches
- Secrets and Dependency Management
- Powerful Command Line Interface
- Autoscale and Pay Only What you Use
- Project Timeline Shows All Development Activities at a Glance
- Dashboard Shows You All Projects That You Participate in
- Seamless GitHub Integration - One Click To Add a Project
- Automatically Test Your App After Every Change
- New Branches are Added & Removed Automatically
- Know If a Pull Request Is Good To Merge
- Review Every Version in Branch History
- Easily Run Your Tests in Parallel Threads
- Projects are Autoconfigured for Testing