Amazon ElastiCache vs Elasticsearch: What are the differences?
What is Amazon ElastiCache? Deploy, operate, and scale an in-memory cache in the cloud. ElastiCache improves the performance of web applications by allowing you to retrieve information from fast, managed, in-memory caches, instead of relying entirely on slower disk-based databases. ElastiCache supports Memcached and Redis.
What is Elasticsearch? Open Source, Distributed, RESTful Search Engine. Elasticsearch is a distributed, RESTful search and analytics engine capable of storing data and searching it in near real time. Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats and Logstash are the Elastic Stack (sometimes called the ELK Stack).
Amazon ElastiCache belongs to "Managed Memcache" category of the tech stack, while Elasticsearch can be primarily classified under "Search as a Service".
Some of the features offered by Amazon ElastiCache are:
- Support for two engines: Memcached and Redis
- Ease of management via the AWS Management Console. With a few clicks you can configure and launch instances for the engine you wish to use.
- Compatibility with the specific engine protocol. This means most of the client libraries will work with the respective engines they were built for - no additional changes or tweaking required.
On the other hand, Elasticsearch provides the following key features:
- Distributed and Highly Available Search Engine.
- Multi Tenant with Multi Types.
- Various set of APIs including RESTful
"Redis" is the top reason why over 53 developers like Amazon ElastiCache, while over 310 developers mention "Powerful api" as the leading cause for choosing Elasticsearch.
Elasticsearch is an open source tool with 42.4K GitHub stars and 14.2K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Elasticsearch's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Elasticsearch has a broader approval, being mentioned in 2003 company stacks & 979 developers stacks; compared to Amazon ElastiCache, which is listed in 349 company stacks and 79 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon ElastiCache?
What is Elasticsearch?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions