Amazon Kinesis vs Elasticsearch: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amazon Kinesis as "Store and process terabytes of data each hour from hundreds of thousands of sources". Amazon Kinesis can collect and process hundreds of gigabytes of data per second from hundreds of thousands of sources, allowing you to easily write applications that process information in real-time, from sources such as web site click-streams, marketing and financial information, manufacturing instrumentation and social media, and operational logs and metering data. On the other hand, Elasticsearch is detailed as "Open Source, Distributed, RESTful Search Engine". Elasticsearch is a distributed, RESTful search and analytics engine capable of storing data and searching it in near real time. Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats and Logstash are the Elastic Stack (sometimes called the ELK Stack).
Amazon Kinesis belongs to "Real-time Data Processing" category of the tech stack, while Elasticsearch can be primarily classified under "Search as a Service".
Some of the features offered by Amazon Kinesis are:
- Real-time Processing- Amazon Kinesis enables you to collect and analyze information in real-time, allowing you to answer questions about the current state of your data, from inventory levels to stock trade frequencies, rather than having to wait for an out-of-date report.
- Easy to use- You can create a new stream, set the throughput requirements, and start streaming data quickly and easily. Amazon Kinesis automatically provisions and manages the storage required to reliably and durably collect your data stream.
- High throughput. Elastic.- Amazon Kinesis seamlessly scales to match the data throughput rate and volume of your data, from megabytes to terabytes per hour. Amazon Kinesis will scale up or down based on your needs.
On the other hand, Elasticsearch provides the following key features:
- Distributed and Highly Available Search Engine.
- Multi Tenant with Multi Types.
- Various set of APIs including RESTful
Elasticsearch is an open source tool with 41.9K GitHub stars and 14K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Elasticsearch's open source repository on GitHub.
Instacart, Slack, and Stack Exchange are some of the popular companies that use Elasticsearch, whereas Amazon Kinesis is used by Instacart, Lyft, and Zillow. Elasticsearch has a broader approval, being mentioned in 1976 company stacks & 936 developers stacks; compared to Amazon Kinesis, which is listed in 130 company stacks and 24 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon Kinesis?
What is Elasticsearch?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions