Amazon SES vs SparkPost: What are the differences?
Amazon SES: Bulk and transactional email-sending service. Amazon SES eliminates the complexity and expense of building an in-house email solution or licensing, installing, and operating a third-party email service. The service integrates with other AWS services, making it easy to send emails from applications being hosted on services such as Amazon EC2; SparkPost: Email Delivery and Analytics for Developers and Enterprises. SparkPost is the world’s #1 email delivery provider. We empower companies with actionable, real-time data to send relevant email to their customers which increases engagement and both top and bottom line revenue.
Amazon SES and SparkPost belong to "Transactional Email" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Amazon SES are:
- Simple – Amazon SES eliminates the complexity of licensing, installing, and operating a third-party service, or building and maintaining an internally hosted email solution. Sending email through Amazon SES is as simple as using SMTP or calling an API, and Amazon SES makes it easy for you to monitor your sending activity and deliverability statistics.
- Inexpensive – There are no up-front fees or fixed expenses with Amazon SES, and you benefit from the efficiencies of Amazon’s scale. Your only costs are low charges for the number of emails sent and data transfer fees.
- Reliable – Amazon SES runs within Amazon’s proven network infrastructure and datacenters. All outgoing email messages are stored redundantly across multiple servers and datacenters, providing high availability and data durability.
On the other hand, SparkPost provides the following key features:
- Quick and easy SMTP or REST API integration
- Free trial
- Real-time & predictive analytics
"Reliable" is the primary reason why developers consider Amazon SES over the competitors, whereas "I could start sending real emails in less than 5 mins" was stated as the key factor in picking SparkPost.
Netflix, Medium, and Stripe are some of the popular companies that use Amazon SES, whereas SparkPost is used by Pinterest, Dial Once, and DocEngage. Amazon SES has a broader approval, being mentioned in 1291 company stacks & 284 developers stacks; compared to SparkPost, which is listed in 49 company stacks and 14 developer stacks.
What is Amazon SES?
What is SparkPost?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Amazon SES?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more consMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Send transactional or marketing email from your web apps. SparkPost provides all the deliverability, scalability and speed you expect from the world's leading email platform in an easily integrated, pay-as-you-go email delivery service.
Our internal emails (such as exception notifications) are sent via Amazon SES, since it's cheaper than using Sendgrid. We also use Amazon SES as a fallback in case we have deliverability issues with Sendgrid.
Sending transactional emails, such as reminders, contact form notifications, confirmations …etc.
Amazon SES is the email service we commonly use in clous AWS e-commerce infrastructure.
Some e-mail communication needs a independent provider, for these purposes we use SES.
Good enough, could get a bit more TLC from AWS to beef up compared to the competition