Amazon SNS vs RabbitMQ: What are the differences?
Amazon SNS: Fully managed push messaging service. Amazon Simple Notification Service makes it simple and cost-effective to push to mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, and internet connected smart devices, as well as pushing to other distributed services. Besides pushing cloud notifications directly to mobile devices, SNS can also deliver notifications by SMS text message or email, to Simple Queue Service (SQS) queues, or to any HTTP endpoint; RabbitMQ: A messaging broker - an intermediary for messaging. RabbitMQ gives your applications a common platform to send and receive messages, and your messages a safe place to live until received.
Amazon SNS can be classified as a tool in the "Mobile Push Messaging" category, while RabbitMQ is grouped under "Message Queue".
Some of the features offered by Amazon SNS are:
- In most cases, developers can get started with Amazon SNS by using just three APIs: CreateTopic, Subscribe, and Publish. Additional APIs are available, which provide more advanced functionality.
- With SNS you can publish a message once, and deliver it one or more times. So you can choose to direct unique messages to individual Apple, Google or Amazon devices, or broadcast deliveries to many mobile devices with a single publish request.
- SNS allows you to group multiple recipients using topics. A topic is an “access point” for allowing recipients to dynamically subscribe for identical copies of the same notification. One topic can support deliveries to multiple endpoint types -- for example, you can group together iOS, Android and SMS recipients. When you publish once to a topic, SNS delivers appropriately formatted copies of your message to each subscriber.
On the other hand, RabbitMQ provides the following key features:
- Robust messaging for applications
- Easy to use
- Runs on all major operating systems
RabbitMQ is an open source tool with 5.95K GitHub stars and 1.78K GitHub forks. Here's a link to RabbitMQ's open source repository on GitHub.
reddit, 9GAG, and Rainist are some of the popular companies that use RabbitMQ, whereas Amazon SNS is used by Intuit, PedidosYa, and Clever. RabbitMQ has a broader approval, being mentioned in 941 company stacks & 551 developers stacks; compared to Amazon SNS, which is listed in 230 company stacks and 78 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon SNS?
What is RabbitMQ?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions