Auth0 vs Firebase: What are the differences?
Auth0: Token-based Single Sign On for your Apps and APIs with social, databases and enterprise identities. A set of unified APIs and tools that instantly enables Single Sign On and user management to all your applications; Firebase: The Realtime App Platform. Firebase is a cloud service designed to power real-time, collaborative applications. Simply add the Firebase library to your application to gain access to a shared data structure; any changes you make to that data are automatically synchronized with the Firebase cloud and with other clients within milliseconds.
Auth0 can be classified as a tool in the "User Management and Authentication" category, while Firebase is grouped under "Realtime Backend / API".
Some of the features offered by Auth0 are:
- User and Password support with verification and forgot password email workflow
- Painless SAML Auth with Enterprises
- Integration with 20+ Social Providers
On the other hand, Firebase provides the following key features:
- Add the Firebase library to your app and get access to a shared data structure. Any changes made to that data are automatically synchronized with the Firebase cloud and with other clients within milliseconds.
- Firebase apps can be written entirely with client-side code, update in real-time out-of-the-box, interoperate well with existing services, scale automatically, and provide strong data security.
- Data Accessibility- Data is stored as JSON in Firebase. Every piece of data has its own URL which can be used in Firebase's client libraries and as a REST endpoint. These URLs can also be entered into a browser to view the data and watch it update in real-time.
"JSON web token" is the primary reason why developers consider Auth0 over the competitors, whereas "Realtime backend made easy" was stated as the key factor in picking Firebase.
Instacart, 9GAG, and Twitch are some of the popular companies that use Firebase, whereas Auth0 is used by Binary.com, Chattermill, and White Rabbit Express. Firebase has a broader approval, being mentioned in 859 company stacks & 997 developers stacks; compared to Auth0, which is listed in 121 company stacks and 55 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Auth0?
What is Firebase?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions