AWS CodeDeploy vs AWS Elastic Beanstalk: What are the differences?
What is AWS CodeDeploy? Coordinate application deployments to Amazon EC2 instances. AWS CodeDeploy is a service that automates code deployments to Amazon EC2 instances. AWS CodeDeploy makes it easier for you to rapidly release new features, helps you avoid downtime during deployment, and handles the complexity of updating your applications.
What is AWS Elastic Beanstalk? Quickly deploy and manage applications in the AWS cloud. Once you upload your application, Elastic Beanstalk automatically handles the deployment details of capacity provisioning, load balancing, auto-scaling, and application health monitoring.
AWS CodeDeploy can be classified as a tool in the "Deployment as a Service" category, while AWS Elastic Beanstalk is grouped under "Platform as a Service".
Some of the features offered by AWS CodeDeploy are:
- AWS CodeDeploy fully automates your code deployments, allowing you to deploy reliably and rapidly
- AWS CodeDeploy helps maximize your application availability by performing rolling updates across your Amazon EC2 instances and tracking application health according to configurable rules
- AWS CodeDeploy allows you to easily launch and track the status of your deployments through the AWS Management Console or the AWS CLI
On the other hand, AWS Elastic Beanstalk provides the following key features:
- Elastic Beanstalk is built using familiar software stacks such as the Apache HTTP Server for Node.js, PHP and Python, Passenger for Ruby, IIS 7.5 for .NET, and Apache Tomcat for Java
- There is no additional charge for Elastic Beanstalk - you pay only for the AWS resources needed to store and run your applications.
- Easy to begin – Elastic Beanstalk is a quick and simple way to deploy your application to AWS. You simply use the AWS Management Console, Git deployment, or an integrated development environment (IDE) such as Eclipse or Visual Studio to upload your application
"Automates code deployments" is the top reason why over 15 developers like AWS CodeDeploy, while over 74 developers mention "Integrates with other aws services" as the leading cause for choosing AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
Accenture, Sellsuki, and Close are some of the popular companies that use AWS Elastic Beanstalk, whereas AWS CodeDeploy is used by Algorithmia, Adsia, and Eventtus. AWS Elastic Beanstalk has a broader approval, being mentioned in 374 company stacks & 119 developers stacks; compared to AWS CodeDeploy, which is listed in 58 company stacks and 15 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is AWS CodeDeploy?
What is AWS Elastic Beanstalk?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions