Bitnami Stacksmith vs Packer: What are the differences?
Bitnami Stacksmith: Create custom container images in minutes. Pick your favorite development environments ready-to-run including: Python, Java, PHP, Go, Ruby and Node. Layer on the web frameworks you need to kick-start your project including: Symfony, Express, Rails, and Django; Packer: Create identical machine images for multiple platforms from a single source configuration. Packer automates the creation of any type of machine image. It embraces modern configuration management by encouraging you to use automated scripts to install and configure the software within your Packer-made images.
Bitnami Stacksmith belongs to "Container Tools" category of the tech stack, while Packer can be primarily classified under "Infrastructure Build Tools".
Some of the features offered by Bitnami Stacksmith are:
- Creates custom container images in minutes, then lets you share them using a simple URL
- Sends notifications of security issues and out-of-date components straight to your inbox
- Makes it easy to package your web application or service in a unique container image
On the other hand, Packer provides the following key features:
- Super fast infrastructure deployment. Packer images allow you to launch completely provisioned and configured machines in seconds, rather than several minutes or hours.
- Multi-provider portability. Because Packer creates identical images for multiple platforms, you can run production in AWS, staging/QA in a private cloud like OpenStack, and development in desktop virtualization solutions such as VMware or VirtualBox.
- Improved stability. Packer installs and configures all the software for a machine at the time the image is built. If there are bugs in these scripts, they'll be caught early, rather than several minutes after a machine is launched.
Packer is an open source tool with 9.03K GitHub stars and 2.46K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Packer's open source repository on GitHub.
What is Bitnami Stacksmith?
What is Packer?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Bitnami Stacksmith?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Bitnami Stacksmith?
What are the cons of using Packer?
What companies use Bitnami Stacksmith?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
LaunchDarkly is almost a five year old company, and our methodology for deploying was state of the art... for 2014. We recently undertook a project to modernize the way we #deploy our software, moving from Ansible-based deploy scripts that executed on our local machines, to using Spinnaker (along with Terraform and Packer) as the basis of our deployment system. We've been using Armory's enterprise Spinnaker offering to make this project a reality.
Our base infrastructure is composed of Debian based servers running in Amazon EC2 , asset storage with Amazon S3 , and Amazon RDS for Aurora and Redis under Amazon ElastiCache for data storage.
We are starting to work in automated provisioning and management with Terraform , Packer , and Ansible .