Gemnasium vs WhiteSource: What are the differences?
Developers describe Gemnasium as "Parses your project's dependencies and notifies you when new versions are released or they need to be updated". Gemnasium keeps track of projects dependencies. Ruby, Node.js, PHP composer, Bower and Python projects dependencies are automatically parsed, and notifications sent when new versions are released or security advisories are published. On the other hand, WhiteSource is detailed as "*Continuously monitoring open source libraries for vulnerabilities *". It automatically identiﬁes all the open source components and dependencies in your build by constant and automatic cross-referencing of your open source components.
Gemnasium and WhiteSource belong to "Dependency Monitoring" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Gemnasium are:
- Know about security vulnerabilities affecting your code
- Know when new versions of your dependencies gets released
- Know what changed with integrated changelogs
On the other hand, WhiteSource provides the following key features:
- Open Source Code Identification
- Vulnerable Components Mapping
- License & Identity Risks Discovery