Google Cloud Storage vs Google Drive: What are the differences?
Developers describe Google Cloud Storage as "Durable and highly available object storage service". Google Cloud Storage allows world-wide storing and retrieval of any amount of data and at any time. It provides a simple programming interface which enables developers to take advantage of Google's own reliable and fast networking infrastructure to perform data operations in a secure and cost effective manner. If expansion needs arise, developers can benefit from the scalability provided by Google's infrastructure. On the other hand, Google Drive is detailed as "Integrate your app with Google Drive". The Drive SDK gives you a group of APIs along with client libraries, language-specific examples, and documentation to help you develop apps that integrate with Drive The core functionality of Drive apps is to download and upload files in Google Drive. However, the Drive SDK provides a lot more than just storage..
Google Cloud Storage can be classified as a tool in the "Cloud Storage" category, while Google Drive is grouped under "File Storage".
Some of the features offered by Google Cloud Storage are:
- High Capacity and Scalability
- Strong Data Consistency
- Google Developers Console Projects
On the other hand, Google Drive provides the following key features:
- Create & collaborate.- In Google Drive, you can create new documents, spreadsheets and presentations instantly. Work together at the same time, on the same doc, and see changes as they appear.
- Work better with the products you use everyday.- Say goodbye to bulky email attachments. Send a link from Google Drive in Gmail and everyone has the same file, same version—automatically. Your pictures in Google Drive are instantly available in Google+, so you’re never more than one click away from sharing with your circles.
- Powerful search.- Google Drive helps you get to your files faster. Search for content by keyword and filter by file type, owner and more. Google Drive can even recognize objects in your images and text in scanned documents.
"Scalable" is the top reason why over 22 developers like Google Cloud Storage, while over 498 developers mention "Easy to use " as the leading cause for choosing Google Drive.
According to the StackShare community, Google Drive has a broader approval, being mentioned in 2093 company stacks & 2018 developers stacks; compared to Google Cloud Storage, which is listed in 183 company stacks and 79 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Google Cloud Storage?
What is Google Drive?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions