Apache Mesos vs Terraform: What are the differences?
What is Apache Mesos? Develop and run resource-efficient distributed systems. Apache Mesos is a cluster manager that simplifies the complexity of running applications on a shared pool of servers.
What is Terraform? Describe your complete infrastructure as code and build resources across providers. With Terraform, you describe your complete infrastructure as code, even as it spans multiple service providers. Your servers may come from AWS, your DNS may come from CloudFlare, and your database may come from Heroku. Terraform will build all these resources across all these providers in parallel.
Apache Mesos can be classified as a tool in the "Cluster Management" category, while Terraform is grouped under "Infrastructure Build Tools".
Some of the features offered by Apache Mesos are:
- Fault-tolerant replicated master using ZooKeeper
- Scalability to 10,000s of nodes
- Isolation between tasks with Linux Containers
On the other hand, Terraform provides the following key features:
- Infrastructure as Code: Infrastructure is described using a high-level configuration syntax. This allows a blueprint of your datacenter to be versioned and treated as you would any other code. Additionally, infrastructure can be shared and re-used.
- Execution Plans: Terraform has a "planning" step where it generates an execution plan. The execution plan shows what Terraform will do when you call apply. This lets you avoid any surprises when Terraform manipulates infrastructure.
- Resource Graph: Terraform builds a graph of all your resources, and parallelizes the creation and modification of any non-dependent resources. Because of this, Terraform builds infrastructure as efficiently as possible, and operators get insight into dependencies in their infrastructure.
"Easy scaling" is the primary reason why developers consider Apache Mesos over the competitors, whereas "Infrastructure as code" was stated as the key factor in picking Terraform.
Terraform is an open source tool with 17.4K GitHub stars and 4.77K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Terraform's open source repository on GitHub.
Instacart, Slack, and Twitch are some of the popular companies that use Terraform, whereas Apache Mesos is used by PayPal, SendGrid, and HubSpot. Terraform has a broader approval, being mentioned in 490 company stacks & 298 developers stacks; compared to Apache Mesos, which is listed in 61 company stacks and 19 developer stacks.
What is Apache Mesos?
What is Terraform?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Terraform?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Built Mesos master/slave as a cluster among serveral cloud service providers, such as Amazon web services, Google cloud engine, Joyent Elastic Container, and AliCloud, and also personal desktop.
Terraform makes it so easy to deploy AWS and Google Cloud services, with the declarative approach avoiding so many headaches of manual work and possible mistakes.
- Infrastructure as Code.
- Central tool to deploy all infratructure: AWS, CloudFlare, StatusCake
Bamboo + Marathon + Mesos (+ Docker) => awesome tool set to building PaaS.
The entire AWS environments is described and setup using Terraform.