Prometheus vs Uptime Robot: What are the differences?
Prometheus: An open-source service monitoring system and time series database, developed by SoundCloud. Prometheus is a systems and service monitoring system. It collects metrics from configured targets at given intervals, evaluates rule expressions, displays the results, and can trigger alerts if some condition is observed to be true; Uptime Robot: Free website uptime monitor. Uptime Robot is all about helping you to keep your websites up. It monitors your websites every 5 minutes and alerts you if your sites are down.
Prometheus and Uptime Robot are primarily classified as "Monitoring" and "Website Monitoring" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Prometheus are:
- a multi-dimensional data model (timeseries defined by metric name and set of key/value dimensions)
- a flexible query language to leverage this dimensionality
- no dependency on distributed storage
On the other hand, Uptime Robot provides the following key features:
- http(s): that's perfect for website monitoring. The service regularly sends requests (which are the same as if a visitor is browsing your website) to the URL and decides if it is up or down depending on the HTTP statuses returned from the website (200-success, 404-not found, etc.)
- ping: this is good for monitoring a server. Ping (ICMP) requests are sent and up/down status is decided according to the "if responses are received or not". Ping is not a good fit for monitoring websites as a website (its IP) can respond to ping requests while it is down (which means that the site is down but the server hosting the site is up)
- keyword: checks if a keyword exists or not exists in a web page
"Powerful easy to use monitoring" is the primary reason why developers consider Prometheus over the competitors, whereas "Free tier" was stated as the key factor in picking Uptime Robot.
Prometheus is an open source tool with 24.6K GitHub stars and 3.49K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Prometheus's open source repository on GitHub.
Uber Technologies, DigitalOcean, and Soundcloud are some of the popular companies that use Prometheus, whereas Uptime Robot is used by Geocodio, Avenue.io, and Gimanzo Systems. Prometheus has a broader approval, being mentioned in 235 company stacks & 84 developers stacks; compared to Uptime Robot, which is listed in 61 company stacks and 22 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Prometheus?
What is UptimeRobot?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Red Hat, Inc.
Red Hat, Inc.