Skaffold vs Titus: What are the differences?
Developers describe Skaffold as "Easy and Repeatable Kubernetes Development". Skaffold is a command line tool that facilitates continuous development for Kubernetes applications. You can iterate on your application source code locally then deploy to local or remote Kubernetes clusters. Skaffold handles the workflow for building, pushing and deploying your application. It can also be used in an automated context such as a CI/CD pipeline to leverage the same workflow and tooling when moving applications to production. On the other hand, Titus is detailed as "A container management platform by Netflix". Titus is a container management platform that provides scalable and reliable container execution and cloud-native integration with Amazon AWS. Titus was built internally at Netflix and is used in production to power Netflix streaming, recommendation, and content systems.
Skaffold and Titus can be primarily classified as "Container" tools.
Some of the features offered by Skaffold are:
- No server-side component. No overhead to your cluster.
- Detect changes in your source code and automatically build/push/deploy.
- Image tag management. Stop worrying about updating the image tags in Kubernetes manifests to push out changes during development.
On the other hand, Titus provides the following key features:
- A production ready container platform - Titus is run in production at Netflix, managing thousands of AWS EC2 instances and launching hundreds of thousands of containers daily for both batch and service workloads.
- Cloud-native integrations with AWS - Titus integrates with AWS services, such as VPC networking, IAM and Security Group concepts, Application Load Balancing, and EC2 capacity management. These integrations enable many cloud services to work seamlessly with containers.
- Netflix OSS integration - Titus works natively with many existing Netflix OSS projects, including Spinnaker, Eureka, Archaius, and Atlas among others.
Skaffold and Titus are both open source tools. Skaffold with 7.16K GitHub stars and 589 forks on GitHub appears to be more popular than Titus with 1.83K GitHub stars and 97 GitHub forks.