Amazon Kinesis vs Apache Spark: What are the differences?
What is Amazon Kinesis? Store and process terabytes of data each hour from hundreds of thousands of sources. Amazon Kinesis can collect and process hundreds of gigabytes of data per second from hundreds of thousands of sources, allowing you to easily write applications that process information in real-time, from sources such as web site click-streams, marketing and financial information, manufacturing instrumentation and social media, and operational logs and metering data.
What is Apache Spark? Fast and general engine for large-scale data processing. Spark is a fast and general processing engine compatible with Hadoop data. It can run in Hadoop clusters through YARN or Spark's standalone mode, and it can process data in HDFS, HBase, Cassandra, Hive, and any Hadoop InputFormat. It is designed to perform both batch processing (similar to MapReduce) and new workloads like streaming, interactive queries, and machine learning.
Amazon Kinesis and Apache Spark are primarily classified as "Real-time Data Processing" and "Big Data" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Amazon Kinesis are:
- Real-time Processing- Amazon Kinesis enables you to collect and analyze information in real-time, allowing you to answer questions about the current state of your data, from inventory levels to stock trade frequencies, rather than having to wait for an out-of-date report.
- Easy to use- You can create a new stream, set the throughput requirements, and start streaming data quickly and easily. Amazon Kinesis automatically provisions and manages the storage required to reliably and durably collect your data stream.
- High throughput. Elastic.- Amazon Kinesis seamlessly scales to match the data throughput rate and volume of your data, from megabytes to terabytes per hour. Amazon Kinesis will scale up or down based on your needs.
On the other hand, Apache Spark provides the following key features:
- Run programs up to 100x faster than Hadoop MapReduce in memory, or 10x faster on disk
- Write applications quickly in Java, Scala or Python
- Combine SQL, streaming, and complex analytics
Apache Spark is an open source tool with 22.5K GitHub stars and 19.4K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Apache Spark's open source repository on GitHub.
According to the StackShare community, Apache Spark has a broader approval, being mentioned in 266 company stacks & 112 developers stacks; compared to Amazon Kinesis, which is listed in 132 company stacks and 25 developer stacks.
What is Amazon Kinesis?
What is Apache Spark?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Amazon Kinesis?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Amazon Kinesis?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Spark is good at parallel data processing management. We wrote a neat program to handle the TBs data we get everyday.