Amazon SNS vs Twilio: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amazon SNS as "Fully managed push messaging service". Amazon Simple Notification Service makes it simple and cost-effective to push to mobile devices such as iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, and internet connected smart devices, as well as pushing to other distributed services. Besides pushing cloud notifications directly to mobile devices, SNS can also deliver notifications by SMS text message or email, to Simple Queue Service (SQS) queues, or to any HTTP endpoint. On the other hand, Twilio is detailed as "Bring voice and messaging to your web and mobile applications". Twilio offers developers a powerful API for phone services to make and receive phone calls, and send and receive text messages. Their product allows programmers to more easily integrate various communication methods into their software and programs.
Amazon SNS belongs to "Mobile Push Messaging" category of the tech stack, while Twilio can be primarily classified under "Voice and SMS".
Some of the features offered by Amazon SNS are:
- In most cases, developers can get started with Amazon SNS by using just three APIs: CreateTopic, Subscribe, and Publish. Additional APIs are available, which provide more advanced functionality.
- With SNS you can publish a message once, and deliver it one or more times. So you can choose to direct unique messages to individual Apple, Google or Amazon devices, or broadcast deliveries to many mobile devices with a single publish request.
- SNS allows you to group multiple recipients using topics. A topic is an “access point” for allowing recipients to dynamically subscribe for identical copies of the same notification. One topic can support deliveries to multiple endpoint types -- for example, you can group together iOS, Android and SMS recipients. When you publish once to a topic, SNS delivers appropriately formatted copies of your message to each subscriber.
On the other hand, Twilio provides the following key features:
- Phone- Phone Numbers API
- Phone- Convert Text to Speech and Play Audio
- Phone- Record Calls and Store Them
According to the StackShare community, Twilio has a broader approval, being mentioned in 683 company stacks & 292 developers stacks; compared to Amazon SNS, which is listed in 227 company stacks and 76 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Amazon SNS?
What is Twilio?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions