AWS CodeDeploy vs Capistrano: What are the differences?
Developers describe AWS CodeDeploy as "Coordinate application deployments to Amazon EC2 instances". AWS CodeDeploy is a service that automates code deployments to Amazon EC2 instances. AWS CodeDeploy makes it easier for you to rapidly release new features, helps you avoid downtime during deployment, and handles the complexity of updating your applications. On the other hand, Capistrano is detailed as "A remote server automation and deployment tool written in Ruby". Capistrano is a remote server automation tool. It supports the scripting and execution of arbitrary tasks, and includes a set of sane-default deployment workflows.
AWS CodeDeploy can be classified as a tool in the "Deployment as a Service" category, while Capistrano is grouped under "Server Configuration and Automation".
Some of the features offered by AWS CodeDeploy are:
- AWS CodeDeploy fully automates your code deployments, allowing you to deploy reliably and rapidly
- AWS CodeDeploy helps maximize your application availability by performing rolling updates across your Amazon EC2 instances and tracking application health according to configurable rules
- AWS CodeDeploy allows you to easily launch and track the status of your deployments through the AWS Management Console or the AWS CLI
On the other hand, Capistrano provides the following key features:
- Reliably deploy web application to any number of machines simultaneously, in sequence or as a rolling set
- Automate audits of any number of machines (checking login logs, enumerating uptimes, and/or applying security patches)
- Script arbitrary workflows over SSH
"Automates code deployments" is the top reason why over 15 developers like AWS CodeDeploy, while over 122 developers mention "Automated deployment with several custom recipes" as the leading cause for choosing Capistrano.
Capistrano is an open source tool with 11.1K GitHub stars and 1.71K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Capistrano's open source repository on GitHub.
Typeform, 500px, and New Relic are some of the popular companies that use Capistrano, whereas AWS CodeDeploy is used by Algorithmia, Adsia, and Eventtus. Capistrano has a broader approval, being mentioned in 293 company stacks & 81 developers stacks; compared to AWS CodeDeploy, which is listed in 58 company stacks and 15 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is AWS CodeDeploy?
What is Capistrano?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions