Grafana vs Uptime Robot: What are the differences?
Developers describe Grafana as "Open source Graphite & InfluxDB Dashboard and Graph Editor". Grafana is a general purpose dashboard and graph composer. It's focused on providing rich ways to visualize time series metrics, mainly though graphs but supports other ways to visualize data through a pluggable panel architecture. It currently has rich support for for Graphite, InfluxDB and OpenTSDB. But supports other data sources via plugins. On the other hand, Uptime Robot is detailed as "Free website uptime monitor". Uptime Robot is all about helping you to keep your websites up. It monitors your websites every 5 minutes and alerts you if your sites are down.
Grafana belongs to "Monitoring Tools" category of the tech stack, while Uptime Robot can be primarily classified under "Website Monitoring".
Some of the features offered by Grafana are:
- Create, edit, save & search dashboards
- Change column spans and row heights
- Drag and drop panels to rearrange
On the other hand, Uptime Robot provides the following key features:
- http(s): that's perfect for website monitoring. The service regularly sends requests (which are the same as if a visitor is browsing your website) to the URL and decides if it is up or down depending on the HTTP statuses returned from the website (200-success, 404-not found, etc.)
- ping: this is good for monitoring a server. Ping (ICMP) requests are sent and up/down status is decided according to the "if responses are received or not". Ping is not a good fit for monitoring websites as a website (its IP) can respond to ping requests while it is down (which means that the site is down but the server hosting the site is up)
- keyword: checks if a keyword exists or not exists in a web page
"Beautiful" is the primary reason why developers consider Grafana over the competitors, whereas "Free tier" was stated as the key factor in picking Uptime Robot.
Grafana is an open source tool with 29.3K GitHub stars and 5.55K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Grafana's open source repository on GitHub.
Oscar Health, Docplanner, and Harvest are some of the popular companies that use Grafana, whereas Uptime Robot is used by Geocodio, Avenue.io, and Gimanzo Systems. Grafana has a broader approval, being mentioned in 559 company stacks & 313 developers stacks; compared to Uptime Robot, which is listed in 61 company stacks and 22 developer stacks.
What is Grafana?
What is Uptime Robot?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Grafana?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
analyze heap dump and many logging or traces
We use Grafana to view live stats relating to our servers such as memory and CPU usage. We also use Grafana to monitor our gaming servers for data such as latency and player counts. This allows us to generate effective analytics and see when problems arise.
Everyone likes graphs, right?! This isn't a tool we actively use right now, but paired with Prometheus we want to use it to have visual monitors on things like API cluster health, status, queue stats, DB/redis query and cache stats etc.
Grafana is used in combination with Prometheus to display the gathered stats and to monitor our physical servers aswell as their virtual applications. We also use Grafana to get notifications about irregularities.
Grafana takes the data from InfluxDB and presents it in a nice flexible format. Bonus points for built-in alerts and playlists (cycles through different dashboards automatically)
- Graph report with many panels and Dashboard.
- Easy to deploy, and view performance of system.
- Intergrating with many datasource: Prometheus, CloudWatch
Uptime Robot is simple; it does what it claims it does, and it does it really well. And its free tier works great for my needs. What more can I want out of it?
Website monitoring - Main tool for our clients' website maintenance