Logstash vs StatsD: What are the differences?
What is Logstash? Collect, Parse, & Enrich Data. Logstash is a tool for managing events and logs. You can use it to collect logs, parse them, and store them for later use (like, for searching). If you store them in Elasticsearch, you can view and analyze them with Kibana.
What is StatsD? Simple daemon for easy stats aggregation. StatsD is a front-end proxy for the Graphite/Carbon metrics server, originally written by Etsy's Erik Kastner. StatsD is a network daemon that runs on the Node.js platform and listens for statistics, like counters and timers, sent over UDP and sends aggregates to one or more pluggable backend services (e.g., Graphite).
Logstash belongs to "Log Management" category of the tech stack, while StatsD can be primarily classified under "Monitoring Tools".
Some of the features offered by Logstash are:
- Centralize data processing of all types
- Normalize varying schema and formats
- Quickly extend to custom log formats
On the other hand, StatsD provides the following key features:
- buckets: Each stat is in its own "bucket". They are not predefined anywhere. Buckets can be named anything that will translate to Graphite (periods make folders, etc)
- values: Each stat will have a value. How it is interpreted depends on modifiers. In general values should be integer.
- flush: After the flush interval timeout (defined by config.flushInterval, default 10 seconds), stats are aggregated and sent to an upstream backend service.
"Free" is the top reason why over 60 developers like Logstash, while over 6 developers mention "Single responsibility" as the leading cause for choosing StatsD.
Logstash and StatsD are both open source tools. It seems that StatsD with 14.1K GitHub stars and 1.83K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Logstash with 10.3K GitHub stars and 2.76K GitHub forks.
reddit, Docplanner, and Harvest are some of the popular companies that use Logstash, whereas StatsD is used by Lyft, Shopify, and SendGrid. Logstash has a broader approval, being mentioned in 551 company stacks & 270 developers stacks; compared to StatsD, which is listed in 72 company stacks and 16 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Logstash?
What is StatsD?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions