Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Amazon S3 vs Azure Storage: What are the differences?
Developers describe Amazon S3 as "Store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web". Amazon Simple Storage Service provides a fully redundant data storage infrastructure for storing and retrieving any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. On the other hand, Azure Storage is detailed as "Reliable, economical cloud storage for data big and small". Azure Storage provides the flexibility to store and retrieve large amounts of unstructured data, such as documents and media files with Azure Blobs; structured nosql based data with Azure Tables; reliable messages with Azure Queues, and use SMB based Azure Files for migrating on-premises applications to the cloud.
Amazon S3 and Azure Storage can be categorized as "Cloud Storage" tools.
Some of the features offered by Amazon S3 are:
- Write, read, and delete objects containing from 1 byte to 5 terabytes of data each. The number of objects you can store is unlimited.
- Each object is stored in a bucket and retrieved via a unique, developer-assigned key.
- A bucket can be stored in one of several Regions. You can choose a Region to optimize for latency, minimize costs, or address regulatory requirements. Amazon S3 is currently available in the US Standard, US West (Oregon), US West (Northern California), EU (Ireland), Asia Pacific (Singapore), Asia Pacific (Tokyo), Asia Pacific (Sydney), South America (Sao Paulo), and GovCloud (US) Regions. The US Standard Region automatically routes requests to facilities in Northern Virginia or the Pacific Northwest using network maps.
On the other hand, Azure Storage provides the following key features:
- Blobs, Tables, Queues, and Files
- Highly scalable
- Durable & highly available
"Reliable" is the primary reason why developers consider Amazon S3 over the competitors, whereas "All-in-one storage solution" was stated as the key factor in picking Azure Storage.
reddit, Instacart, and Lyft are some of the popular companies that use Amazon S3, whereas Azure Storage is used by Starbucks, Yammer, and Microsoft. Amazon S3 has a broader approval, being mentioned in 3194 company stacks & 1559 developers stacks; compared to Azure Storage, which is listed in 82 company stacks and 42 developer stacks.
Hello! I have a mobile app with nearly 100k MAU, and I want to add a cloud file storage service to my app.
My app will allow users to store their image, video, and audio files and retrieve them to their device when necessary.
I have already decided to use PHP & Laravel as my backend, and I use Contabo VPS. Now, I need an object storage service for my app, and my options are:
Amazon S3 : It sounds to me like the best option but the most expensive. Closest to my users (MENA Region) for other services, I will have to go to Europe. Not sure how important this is?
DigitalOcean Spaces : Seems like my best option for price/service, but I am still not sure
Wasabi: the best price (6 USD/MONTH/TB) and free bandwidth, but I am not sure if it fits my needs as I want to allow my users to preview audio and video files. They don't recommend their service for streaming videos.
Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage: Good price but not sure about them.
There is also the self-hosted s3 compatible option, but I am not sure about that.
Any thoughts will be helpful. Also, if you think I should post in a different sub, please tell me.
If pricing is the issue i'd suggest you use digital ocean, but if its not use amazon was digital oceans API is s3 compatible
Hello Mohammad, I am using : Cloudways >> AWS >> Bahrain for last 2 years. This is best I consider out of my 10 year research on Laravel hosting.
Minio is a free and open source object storage system. It can be self-hosted and is S3 compatible. During the early stage it would save cost and allow us to move to a different object storage when we scale up. It is also fast and easy to set up. This is very useful during development since it can be run on localhost.
We offer our customer HIPAA compliant storage. After analyzing the market, we decided to go with Google Storage. The Nodejs API is ok, still not ES6 and can be very confusing to use. For each new customer, we created a different bucket so they can have individual data and not have to worry about data loss. After 1000+ customers we started seeing many problems with the creation of new buckets, with saving or retrieving a new file. Many false positive: the Promise returned ok, but in reality, it failed.
That's why we switched to S3 that just works.
Pros of Amazon S3
- Simple & easy329
- Many sdks83
- Easy Setup13
- 1000+ POPs11
- REST API11
- Plug and play4
- Web UI for uploading files3
- Faster on response2
- GDPR ready2
- Easy integration with CloudFront1
- Easy to use1
Pros of Azure Storage
- All-in-one storage solution23
- Pay only for data used regardless of disk size15
- Shared drive mapping9
- Cheapest hot and cloud storage2
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Cons of Amazon S3
- Permissions take some time to get right7
- Takes time/work to organize buckets & folders properly6
- Requires a credit card5
- Complex to set up3
Cons of Azure Storage
- Direct support is not provided by Azure storage2