Charles vs Runscope: What are the differences?
What is Charles? HTTP proxy / HTTP monitor / Reverse Proxy. Charles is a web proxy (HTTP Proxy / HTTP Monitor) that runs on your own computer. Your web browser (or any other Internet application) is then configured to access the Internet through Charles, and Charles is then able to record and display for you all of the data that is sent and received.
What is Runscope? API Performance Monitoring. Keep tabs on all aspects of your API's performance with uptime monitoring, integration testing, logging and real-time monitoring.
Charles and Runscope can be primarily classified as "API" tools.
Some of the features offered by Charles are:
- SSL Proxying – view SSL requests and responses in plain text
- Bandwidth Throttling to simulate slower Internet connections including latency
- AJAX debugging – view XML and JSON requests and responses as a tree or as text
On the other hand, Runscope provides the following key features:
- Runscope Radar: Automatically monitor your APIs from around the globe. Integrates with PagerDuty, New Relic Insights, Keen IO, HipChat, Slack and more. Test complete API workflows with powerful assertions and notifications.
- Runscope Metrics: API performance and usage reports.
- Runscope API Traffic Inspector: Log and view API calls from any language or framework to any API to solve integration problems.
According to the StackShare community, Runscope has a broader approval, being mentioned in 38 company stacks & 7 developers stacks; compared to Charles, which is listed in 16 company stacks and 13 developer stacks.
What is Charles?
What is Runscope?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Charles?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Charles?
What are the cons of using Runscope?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
What tools integrate with Charles?
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Used Runscope for monitoring API uptime and data validation in context of the Harald beacon platform.