Cloud Foundry vs Deis: What are the differences?
Cloud Foundry: Deploy and scale applications in seconds on your choice of private or public cloud. Cloud Foundry is an open platform as a service (PaaS) that provides a choice of clouds, developer frameworks, and application services. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy, and scale applications; Deis: Open Source PaaS that builds upon Docker and CoreOS to provide a lightweight PaaS with a Heroku-inspired workflow. Deis can deploy any application or service that can run inside a Docker container. In order to be scaled horizontally, applications must follow Heroku's 12-factor methodology and store state in external backing services.
Cloud Foundry and Deis can be primarily classified as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Cloud Foundry are:
- Application and services centric lifecycle API
- High performance dynamic routing
- Buildpack support
On the other hand, Deis provides the following key features:
- Deis can deploy any language or framework using a Dockerfile
- If you don't have a Dockerfile, Deis includes Heroku buildpacks for Ruby, Python, Node.js, Java, Clojure, Scala, Play, PHP, Perl, Dart and Go.
- Deis can be deployed on any system that supports CoreOS including your workstation, as well as most public clouds, private clouds and bare metal.
Cloud Foundry and Deis are both open source tools. It seems that Deis with 6.12K GitHub stars and 863 forks on GitHub has more adoption than Cloud Foundry with 605 GitHub stars and 532 GitHub forks.