Cloud Foundry vs dotCloud: What are the differences?
What is Cloud Foundry? Deploy and scale applications in seconds on your choice of private or public cloud. Cloud Foundry is an open platform as a service (PaaS) that provides a choice of clouds, developer frameworks, and application services. Cloud Foundry makes it faster and easier to build, test, deploy, and scale applications.
What is dotCloud? Deploy, manage and scale any web app. Build your ideal application stack by combining powerful cloud services. Experiment for free, then go live and only pay for what you need. dotCloud enables developers and IT organizations to deploy, manage and scale their applications with unprecedented ease and flexibility by assembling and customizing powerful pre-configured stacks and services.
Cloud Foundry and dotCloud can be primarily classified as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by Cloud Foundry are:
- Application and services centric lifecycle API
- High performance dynamic routing
- Buildpack support
On the other hand, dotCloud provides the following key features:
- Develop faster- Don’t waste time with servers. Just select the services you need, combine them in a stack, and get back to writing code. It’s like playing lego!
- Don't worry about ops- We keep your app running 24/7 with built-in load-balancing, monitoring and failover. Scale in seconds to handle surges in traffic - and only pay for what you need.
- Not just for throw-away apps- Create maintainable, future-proof applications with a service-oriented architecture. Build custom services and network topologies. Need custom support, pricing or SLAs? We do that too.
Cloud Foundry is an open source tool with 605 GitHub stars and 532 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Cloud Foundry's open source repository on GitHub.