Datadog vs StatsD: What are the differences?
What is Datadog? Unify logs, metrics, and traces from across your distributed infrastructure. Datadog is the leading service for cloud-scale monitoring. It is used by IT, operations, and development teams who build and operate applications that run on dynamic or hybrid cloud infrastructure. Start monitoring in minutes with Datadog!.
What is StatsD? Simple daemon for easy stats aggregation. StatsD is a front-end proxy for the Graphite/Carbon metrics server, originally written by Etsy's Erik Kastner. StatsD is a network daemon that runs on the Node.js platform and listens for statistics, like counters and timers, sent over UDP and sends aggregates to one or more pluggable backend services (e.g., Graphite).
Datadog can be classified as a tool in the "Performance Monitoring" category, while StatsD is grouped under "Monitoring Tools".
Some of the features offered by Datadog are:
- 14-day Free Trial for an unlimited number of hosts
- 200+ turn-key integrations for data aggregation
- Clean graphs of StatsD and other integrations
On the other hand, StatsD provides the following key features:
- buckets: Each stat is in its own "bucket". They are not predefined anywhere. Buckets can be named anything that will translate to Graphite (periods make folders, etc)
- values: Each stat will have a value. How it is interpreted depends on modifiers. In general values should be integer.
- flush: After the flush interval timeout (defined by config.flushInterval, default 10 seconds), stats are aggregated and sent to an upstream backend service.
"Monitoring for many apps (databases, web servers, etc)" is the primary reason why developers consider Datadog over the competitors, whereas "Single responsibility" was stated as the key factor in picking StatsD.
StatsD is an open source tool with 14.2K GitHub stars and 1.83K GitHub forks. Here's a link to StatsD's open source repository on GitHub.
Airbnb, Facebook, and Spotify are some of the popular companies that use Datadog, whereas StatsD is used by Lyft, Shopify, and OpenGov. Datadog has a broader approval, being mentioned in 541 company stacks & 223 developers stacks; compared to StatsD, which is listed in 72 company stacks and 16 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Datadog?
What is StatsD?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions