Google Analytics vs Tableau: What are the differences?
What is Google Analytics? Enterprise-class web analytics. Google Analytics lets you measure your advertising ROI as well as track your Flash, video, and social networking sites and applications.
What is Tableau? Tableau helps people see and understand data. Tableau can help anyone see and understand their data. Connect to almost any database, drag and drop to create visualizations, and share with a click.
Google Analytics can be classified as a tool in the "General Analytics" category, while Tableau is grouped under "Business Intelligence".
Some of the features offered by Google Analytics are:
- Analysis Tools- Google Analytics is built on a powerful, easy to use, reporting platform, so you can decide what data you want to view and customize your reports, with just a few clicks.
- Content Analytics- Content reports help you understand which parts of your website are performing well, which pages are most popular so you can create a better experience for your customers.
- Social Analytics- The web is a social place and Google Analytics measures success of your social media programs. You can analyze how visitors interact with sharing features on your site (like the Google +1 button) and engage with your content across social platforms.
On the other hand, Tableau provides the following key features:
- Connect to data on prem or in the cloud—whether it’s big data, a SQL database, a spreadsheet, or cloud apps like Google Analytics and Salesforce. Access and combine disparate data without writing code. Power users can pivot, split, and manage metadata to optimize data sources. Analysis begins with data. Get more from yours with Tableau.
- Exceptional analytics demand more than a pretty dashboard. Quickly build powerful calculations from existing data, drag and drop reference lines and forecasts, and review statistical summaries. Make your point with trend analyses, regressions, and correlations for tried and true statistical understanding. Ask new questions, spot trends, identify opportunities, and make data-driven decisions with confidence.
- Answer the “where” as well as the “why.” Create interactive maps automatically. Built-in postal codes mean lightning-fast mapping for more than 50 countries worldwide. Use custom geocodes and territories for personalized regions, like sales areas. We designed Tableau maps specifically to help your data stand out.
Airbnb, Uber Technologies, and Spotify are some of the popular companies that use Google Analytics, whereas Tableau is used by Avocode, Zumba, and SoFi. Google Analytics has a broader approval, being mentioned in 15339 company stacks & 2445 developers stacks; compared to Tableau, which is listed in 67 company stacks and 38 developer stacks.
What is Google Analytics?
What is Tableau?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose Tableau?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using Tableau?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more consMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
Google is an amazing free tool and is extremely customizable. I use it for A/B testing (using google content experiment), Lean Analytics (measuring goals based on events), and it's new asynchronous JS has made a lot of tracking easier.
However it takes a lot more configuration to set up cohort studies and user based analytics than other analytics platforms. It is possible to do however: http://analytics.blogspot.ca/2013/03/get-useful-insights-easier-automate.html
If you need something free this is definitely your best option.
I mainly use it to trace how many user using it before my site get monetized, at the age before smartphone and we only have web site, now I look at the profit rather than web page visited. As web page is not the single interface now. Android, iOS, Web. Wasting time to set up one by one. so I just simply look at revenue.
Google Analytics is a freemium web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google Analytics not only lets you measure sales and conversions, but also gives you fresh insights into how visitors use your site, how they arrived on your site, and how you can keep them coming back.
Google Analytic is setup with user id tracking, allowing to view traffic for logged in users only, as well as custom events based on video watching and conversion goals for purchases. The Google’s autotrack plugin provides additional tracking of click events.
We installed Google Analytics. Can we haz data science now? We ares teh bestest analytics gurus evar!