Amazon CloudWatch vs Rollbar: What are the differences?
Amazon CloudWatch: Monitor AWS resources and custom metrics generated by your applications and services. With Amazon CloudWatch, you gain system-wide visibility into resource utilization, application performance, and operational health. Programmatically retrieve your monitoring data, view graphs, and set alarms to help you troubleshoot, spot trends, and take automated action based on the state of your cloud environment; Rollbar: Full-stack error monitoring for developers. Rollbar helps development teams find and fix errors faster. Quickly pinpoint what’s broken and why. View exceptions from all of your languages, frameworks, platforms & environments in one place. Get context & insights to defeat all errors.
Amazon CloudWatch can be classified as a tool in the "Cloud Monitoring" category, while Rollbar is grouped under "Exception Monitoring".
Some of the features offered by Amazon CloudWatch are:
- Basic Monitoring for Amazon EC2 instances: ten pre-selected metrics at five-minute frequency, free of charge.
- Detailed Monitoring for Amazon EC2 instances: seven pre-selected metrics at one-minute frequency, for an additional charge.
- Amazon EBS volumes: eight pre-selected metrics at five-minute frequency, free of charge.
On the other hand, Rollbar provides the following key features:
- Errors get queued, de-duped, grouped and prioritized
- View detailed stack traces with local variables
"Monitor aws resources" is the primary reason why developers consider Amazon CloudWatch over the competitors, whereas "Consolidates similar errors by impact" was stated as the key factor in picking Rollbar.
Airbnb, Intuit, and 9GAG are some of the popular companies that use Amazon CloudWatch, whereas Rollbar is used by Tilt, Exec, and AngelList. Amazon CloudWatch has a broader approval, being mentioned in 707 company stacks & 321 developers stacks; compared to Rollbar, which is listed in 478 company stacks and 113 developer stacks.