Deis vs Engine Yard Cloud: What are the differences?
What is Deis? Open Source PaaS that builds upon Docker and CoreOS to provide a lightweight PaaS with a Heroku-inspired workflow. Deis can deploy any application or service that can run inside a Docker container. In order to be scaled horizontally, applications must follow Heroku's 12-factor methodology and store state in external backing services.
What is Engine Yard Cloud? Deploy and scale Rails applications in the cloud. The Engine Yard Platform as a Service (PaaS) is a product family that leverages open source technologies to orchestrate and automate the configuration, deployment and management of applications on multiple infrastructures.
Deis and Engine Yard Cloud belong to "Platform as a Service" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by Deis are:
- Deis can deploy any language or framework using a Dockerfile
- If you don't have a Dockerfile, Deis includes Heroku buildpacks for Ruby, Python, Node.js, Java, Clojure, Scala, Play, PHP, Perl, Dart and Go.
- Deis can be deployed on any system that supports CoreOS including your workstation, as well as most public clouds, private clouds and bare metal.
On the other hand, Engine Yard Cloud provides the following key features:
- Dedicated, secure, commercial-grade platform that increases agility
- Focus on your code - not on operations or platform maintenance
- Scale cloud applications and infrastructure rapidly
"12-factor methodology" is the primary reason why developers consider Deis over the competitors, whereas "Great customer support" was stated as the key factor in picking Engine Yard Cloud.
Deis is an open source tool with 6.12K GitHub stars and 863 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Deis's open source repository on GitHub.