Django REST framework vs Graphene: What are the differences?
Django REST framework: Web APIs for Django. Django REST framework is a powerful and flexible toolkit that makes it easy to build Web APIs; Graphene: GraphQL framework for Python. Graphene is a Python library for building GraphQL schemas/types fast and easily.
Django REST framework and Graphene are primarily classified as "Microframeworks (Backend)" and "Query Languages" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Django REST framework are:
- The Web browsable API is a huge usability win for your developers.
- Authentication policies including OAuth1a and OAuth2 out of the box.
- Serialization that supports both ORM and non-ORM data sources.
On the other hand, Graphene provides the following key features:
- Easy to use: Graphene helps you use GraphQL in Python without effort.
- Relay: Graphene has builtin support for Relay
- Django: Automatic Django model mapping to Graphene Types. Check a fully working Django implementation
Django REST framework and Graphene are both open source tools. It seems that Django REST framework with 14.5K GitHub stars and 4.29K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Graphene with 4.64K GitHub stars and 494 GitHub forks.
AX Semantics, Crowdkeep, and Shippo are some of the popular companies that use Django REST framework, whereas Graphene is used by A Color Bright, Advance.Careers, and flatfox. Django REST framework has a broader approval, being mentioned in 159 company stacks & 77 developers stacks; compared to Graphene, which is listed in 11 company stacks and 5 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Django REST framework?
What is Graphene?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions