Hexo vs Next.js: What are the differences?
What is Hexo? A fast, simple & powerful blog framework, powered by Node.js. Hexo is a fast, simple and powerful blog framework. It parses your posts with Markdown or other render engine and generates static files with the beautiful theme. All of these just take seconds.
Hexo can be classified as a tool in the "Static Site Generators" category, while Next.js is grouped under "Frameworks (Full Stack)".
Some of the features offered by Hexo are:
- Blazing Fast - Node.js brings you incredible generating speed. Hundreds of files take only seconds to build.
- Markdown Support - All features of GitHub Flavored Markdown are supported. You can even use most Octopress plugins in Hexo.
- One-Command Deployment - You only need one command to deploy your site to GitHub Pages, Heroku or other sites.
On the other hand, Next.js provides the following key features:
- Zero setup. Use the filesystem as an API
- Automatic server rendering and code splitting
"Ease of deployment" is the top reason why over 15 developers like Hexo, while over 9 developers mention "Automatic server rendering and code splitting" as the leading cause for choosing Next.js.
Hexo and Next.js are both open source tools. It seems that Next.js with 39.7K GitHub stars and 4.93K forks on GitHub has more adoption than Hexo with 27.5K GitHub stars and 3.65K GitHub forks.
CircleCI, Avocode, and SeatGeek are some of the popular companies that use Next.js, whereas Hexo is used by Hazeorid, Erudika, and Flex.io. Next.js has a broader approval, being mentioned in 118 company stacks & 218 developers stacks; compared to Hexo, which is listed in 10 company stacks and 140 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
Sign up to add or upvote consMake informed product decisions
What is Hexo?
What is Next.js?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions