AWS CloudTrail vs Papertrail: What are the differences?
What is AWS CloudTrail? Record AWS API calls for your account and have log files delivered to you. With CloudTrail, you can get a history of AWS API calls for your account, including API calls made via the AWS Management Console, AWS SDKs, command line tools, and higher-level AWS services (such as AWS CloudFormation). The AWS API call history produced by CloudTrail enables security analysis, resource change tracking, and compliance auditing. The recorded information includes the identity of the API caller, the time of the API call, the source IP address of the API caller, the request parameters, and the response elements returned by the AWS service.
What is Papertrail? Hosted log management for servers, apps, and cloud services. Papertrail helps detect, resolve, and avoid infrastructure problems using log messages. Papertrail's practicality comes from our own experience as sysadmins, developers, and entrepreneurs.
AWS CloudTrail and Papertrail belong to "Log Management" category of the tech stack.
Some of the features offered by AWS CloudTrail are:
- Increased Visibility- CloudTrail provides increased visibility into your user activity by recording AWS API calls. You can answer questions such as, what actions did a given user take over a given time period? For a given resource, which user has taken actions on it over a given time period? What is the source IP address of a given activity? Which activities failed due to inadequate permissions?
- Durable and Inexpensive Log File Storage- CloudTrail uses Amazon S3 for log file storage and delivery, so log files are stored durably and inexpensively. You can use Amazon S3 lifecycle configuration rules to further reduce storage costs. For example, you can define rules to automatically delete old log files or archive them to Amazon Glacier for additional savings.
- Easy Administration- CloudTrail is a fully managed service
On the other hand, Papertrail provides the following key features:
- Intuitive Web-based log viewer
- Powerful command-line tools
- Long-term archive (S3)
"Very easy setup" is the primary reason why developers consider AWS CloudTrail over the competitors, whereas "Log search" was stated as the key factor in picking Papertrail.
Instacart, StackShare, and Product Hunt are some of the popular companies that use Papertrail, whereas AWS CloudTrail is used by Netflix, Slack, and Seat Pagine Gialle. Papertrail has a broader approval, being mentioned in 243 company stacks & 47 developers stacks; compared to AWS CloudTrail, which is listed in 38 company stacks and 11 developer stacks.
What is AWS CloudTrail?
What is Papertrail?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using AWS CloudTrail?
What are the cons of using Papertrail?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
While it's not -hard- to login to your servers and check each log file it can quickly become a burden with log files kept in different locations, slightly different syntax for each and perhaps more than one server to dig through. Depending on your business you are probably not doing this everyday so the fact that you can setup Papertrail once and are then able to search through it in one location is a huge time saver in the long run. Papertrail has some competition in this space but i like the singular goal of this app and it has a good price to value comparison as well. It just works which is basically all you can ask from an app like this.
I use Papertrail as a distributed log aggregator for nightly.zerotoherojs.com and dojo.zerotoherojs.com
I served me really well so far.
It is simple to use, intuitive, and reasonably-priced.
Papertrail is sent logs via Heroku log drains, and provides centralised logging of both the web and background workers for debugging errors and spelunking into logs.
We use PaperTrail, so basically all of our instances write into SysLog entries that are shifted to PaperTrail.
we used papertrail at talenthouse for all out logging needs. elegant and simple ui. enjoyed the service.