Mattermost vs Trello: What are the differences?
Mattermost: Open-source, self-hosted, Slack alternative. Mattermost is modern communication from behind your firewall; Trello: Your entire project, in a single glance. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.
Mattermost and Trello are primarily classified as "Group Chat & Notifications" and "Project Management" tools respectively.
Some of the features offered by Mattermost are:
- All your team communication in one place, searchable and accessible anywhere
- Slack-compatible, not Slack-limited. Imports Slack channels, users and themes. Offers Slack-compatible webhooks and integrations including Hubot, Jenkins, GitLab and others
- Self-host ready with System Console and IT admin tools for managing dozens of team sites. Installs with Linux binary, plus Docker, Heroku, AWS, Azure and Cloud Foundry options
On the other hand, Trello provides the following key features:
- Add a checklist to keep on top of all those little to-dos. There’s also a nice, big progress meter, because who doesn’t love a nice, big progress meter?
- Got a relevant file, image, or document? Attach it right to the card, and you’ll never have to go scrambling through your inbox looking for it later.
- Attach photos, drawings, sketches, and mockups to quickly illustrate ideas at a glance.
"Open source" is the primary reason why developers consider Mattermost over the competitors, whereas "Great for collaboration" was stated as the key factor in picking Trello.
Mattermost is an open source tool with 14.9K GitHub stars and 3.04K GitHub forks. Here's a link to Mattermost's open source repository on GitHub.
9GAG, Heroku, and Buffer are some of the popular companies that use Trello, whereas Mattermost is used by Uber Technologies, DuckDuckGo, and Kanteron Systems. Trello has a broader approval, being mentioned in 2163 company stacks & 1711 developers stacks; compared to Mattermost, which is listed in 38 company stacks and 24 developer stacks.