Google Compute Engine vs Rackspace Cloud Servers: What are the differences?
What is Google Compute Engine? Run large-scale workloads on virtual machines hosted on Google's infrastructure. Google Compute Engine is a service that provides virtual machines that run on Google infrastructure. Google Compute Engine offers scale, performance, and value that allows you to easily launch large compute clusters on Google's infrastructure. There are no upfront investments and you can run up to thousands of virtual CPUs on a system that has been designed from the ground up to be fast, and to offer strong consistency of performance.
What is Rackspace Cloud Servers? Powerful Linux and Windows servers in minutes. Cloud Servers is based on OpenStack, the open and scalable operating system for building public and private clouds. With the open cloud, you get reliable cloud hosting, without locking your data into one proprietary platform.
Google Compute Engine and Rackspace Cloud Servers can be categorized as "Cloud Hosting" tools.
Some of the features offered by Google Compute Engine are:
- High-performance virtual machines- Compute Engine’s Linux VMs are consistently performant, scalable, highly secure and reliable. Supported distros include Debian and CentOS. You can choose from micro-VMs to large instances.
- Powered by Google’s global network- Create large compute clusters that benefit from strong and consistent cross-machine bandwidth. Connect to machines in other data centers and to other Google services using Google’s private global fiber network.
- (Really) Pay for what you use- Google bills in minute-level increments (with a 10-minute minimum charge), so you don’t pay for unused computing time.
On the other hand, Rackspace Cloud Servers provides the following key features:
- 100% power and network uptime guarantee
- Cloud choice- We run the world’s largest open cloud, giving you flexibility, choice, and no vendor lock-in. That means your workloads are portable. Host them with any open cloud vendor—or even in your own data center.
- Technical expertise- We employ more Red Hat® Certified Engineers than any other hosting company. And over 100 Rackspace employees have earned the title of Microsoft® Certified Professional.
"Backed by google" is the top reason why over 86 developers like Google Compute Engine, while over 41 developers mention "Quick and reliable cloud servers" as the leading cause for choosing Rackspace Cloud Servers.
According to the StackShare community, Google Compute Engine has a broader approval, being mentioned in 592 company stacks & 427 developers stacks; compared to Rackspace Cloud Servers, which is listed in 109 company stacks and 24 developer stacks.
Sign up to add or upvote prosMake informed product decisions
What is Google Compute Engine?
What is Rackspace Cloud Servers?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions