OpsGenie vs Runbook: What are the differences?
What is OpsGenie? Alerting and On-Call Management for Dev&Ops Teams. OpsGenie is a cloud-based service for dev & ops teams, providing reliable alerts, on-call schedule management, and escalations. OpsGenie integrates with monitoring tools & services and ensures that the right people are at the right time.
What is Runbook? Infrastructure Monitoring with Automated Remediation. Runbook is a SaaS application that monitors your servers and performs automated tasks when your monitors fails. Use Runbook to automatically recover from application crashes and unexpected failure without interrupting your service or your well earned sleep!.
OpsGenie can be classified as a tool in the "Monitoring Aggregation" category, while Runbook is grouped under "Remote Server Task Execution".
Some of the features offered by OpsGenie are:
- Forward IT alerts to OpsGenie
- Get notified via email, SMS, mobile push and phone calls
- View alerts using mobile apps
On the other hand, Runbook provides the following key features:
- Monitors are used to check the status of your environment. They can be webhooks that call to the Runbook RESTful API, they can be Datadog alerts, they can be ping requests. Or, you can setup our TCP custom port to validate connectivity.
- Reactions are automated tasks that are called when Monitors fail. It can be anything from starting or restarting servers on AWS, Digital Ocean, or elsewhere, to running a custom script or executing a command. You know, all the first things you try when you get a 4am wake-up call
- Integrated with the tools you use today: Heroku, Salt, Rackspace, DigitalOcean, Logentries
Runbook is an open source tool with 193 GitHub stars and 55 GitHub forks. Here's a link to Runbook's open source repository on GitHub.