AppHarbor vs AppScale: What are the differences?
AppHarbor: Instantly deploy and scale .NET applications. AppHarbor is a fully hosted .NET Platform as a Service. AppHarbor can deploy and scale any standard .NET application to the cloud; AppScale: An open source implementation of Google App Engine. Run your applications in any cloud- public, private or hybrid. AppScale is a platform that allows users to deploy applications developed using the Google App Engine APIs over Amazon EC2, Rackspace, Google Compute Engine, Eucalyptus, Openstack, CloudStack, as well as KVM and VirtualBox.
AppHarbor and AppScale can be categorized as "Platform as a Service" tools.
Some of the features offered by AppHarbor are:
- You push .NET and Windows code to AppHarbor using Git, Mercurial, Subversion or Team Foundation Server with the complimentary Git service or through integrations offered in collaboration with Bitbucket, CodePlex and GitHub.
- When AppHarbor receives your code it will be built by a build server. If the code compiles all unit tests contained in the compiled assemblies will be run. The result and progress of the build and unit test status can be monitored on the application dashboard. AppHarbor will call any service hooks that you add to notify you of the build result.
- If everything checks out the application is deployed and configured on AppHarbor application servers. AppHarbor can scale an application vertically and horizontally within seconds for better request throughout, performance and failover. AppHarbor balance load across all instances running that application. Scaling an application gives higher request thoughput, redundancy in case of instance failure and better performance.
On the other hand, AppScale provides the following key features:
- UI & Dashboard
- Manage Apps, Machines, and Logs
- Automated Data Persistence
AppScale is an open source tool with 2.39K GitHub stars and 273 GitHub forks. Here's a link to AppScale's open source repository on GitHub.
What is AppHarbor?
What is AppScale?
Need advice about which tool to choose?Ask the StackShare community!
Why do developers choose AppScale?
Sign up to add, upvote and see more prosMake informed product decisions
What are the cons of using AppHarbor?
What are the cons of using AppScale?
Sign up to get full access to all the companiesMake informed product decisions
Sign up to get full access to all the tool integrationsMake informed product decisions
AppHarbor is an amazing tool for indie developers or startups that are just getting on their feet. To put it short, AppHarbor is the Heroku of .NET, being developer friendly, cost effective and performant.
Their platform has some nice features including the plugins (integrations with different services such as shared or dedicated RDBMS instances, document repositories, messaging queues, logging and monitoring services, etc.) that are extremely easy to use, and especially integrations with BitBucket and GitHub.
It's such a pleasure to work with the integrations mentioned, that whenever a developer pushes commits to the selected branch, AppHarbor automatically pulls, updates, builds, runs the unit tests and deploys. The cream of the crop is the fact that even the free tier supports this workflow which is practically a continuous delivery approach. And this makes AppHarbor perfect for startups and independent developers.
And, for established companies, I have to add the fact that their customer support is quite good.