Mixpanel vs Segment: What are the differences?
What is Mixpanel? Actions speak louder than page views. Mixpanel is an advanced analytics service that helps improve web and mobile applications by tracking how users interact & engage with them.
What is Segment? A single hub to collect, translate and send your data with the flip of a switch. Segment is a single hub for customer data. Collect your data in one place, then send it to more than 100 third-party tools, internal systems, or Amazon Redshift with the flip of a switch.
Mixpanel belongs to "Funnel Analysis Analytics" category of the tech stack, while Segment can be primarily classified under "Analytics Integrator".
Some of the features offered by Mixpanel are:
- Build complex queries without writing SQL.- Segmentation allows you to do incredibly powerful data analysis. Answer complex questions such as “Show me the age breakdown of people who are male, from the United States, and viewed the pricing page” with just a few mouse clicks.
- Segmentation actually understands your data. When you send a number, date, or list of items our interface will automatically figure out how to use it.
- Instead of just a simple average, which only gives you a small part of the information you need, Segmentation automatically determines the perfect bucket size to give you a powerful visualization of the numeric distribution.
On the other hand, Segment provides the following key features:
- A single API to integrate third-party tools
- Data replay that backfills new tools with historical data
- SQL support to automatically transform and load behavioral data into Amazon Redshift
"Great visualization ui" is the primary reason why developers consider Mixpanel over the competitors, whereas "Easy to scale and maintain 3rd party services" was stated as the key factor in picking Segment.
Airbnb, Uber Technologies, and Stripe are some of the popular companies that use Mixpanel, whereas Segment is used by StackShare, Product Hunt, and Typeform. Mixpanel has a broader approval, being mentioned in 1841 company stacks & 196 developers stacks; compared to Segment, which is listed in 831 company stacks and 79 developer stacks.